It's All About Framing

This period of time in our lives is tense and dramatic. Perhaps there is a way to lessen the degree of stress we are experiencing. I think using a different frame for our experiences is a way to begin. The same as the "Thank You" walk, framing our basic experiences differently to make them therapeutic. For example, this picture was taken at the NY Botanical Gardens. It is simply rocks underwater. Without the knowledge that they are underwater, it looks like a poorly taken picture. However, it was purposeful and full of intent. When I cook a meal during this, I am so grateful for the income that provides my home and groceries to make the meal possible. My framing around cooking is: Now I get to improve my skills as a home cook. Cooking for myself is a powerful demonstration of self care. Framing cooking as self care instead of a chore help sot re-organize the emotions around it. Having the time to deepen my physical yoga practice is a a gift. Having the space and time to deepen my connection to breath and my center is also self-care. For sure we have to distance ourselves socially, but within that distance can we frame our experiences from the lens of self care? De-cluttering is about taking the extra baggage away from our living environment, thus clearing it out of our lives. A more organized, pleasing home makes it easier to be safe within this home. Living in a pattern where only 1 cup of coffee is necessary means that I am expending less energy and need less caffeine to endure a hectic schedule. A less hectic schedule is foreign, but still a sign of self care. Getting more in touch with technology is more about learning and trying new things and making my brain more flexible, instead of a chore that will just "go wrong anyway". Re-framing my emotions and experiences into self care has made this experience positive. I do not cherish this pandemic one bit, it hurts my heart, however the more I can re-frame this experience, the less it detrimental it is to my spiritual and mental health.

Comments

Popular Posts