Revisiting some old loves

Today a uniquely wonderful thing happened. I was listening to music as I was uploading assignments to my google classrooms and I heard a recording of the Chopin Nocturne in F Sharp minor. Years ago, at least 15 if not more, I LOVED that piece of music. I practiced it for hours. I was so deeply in love with every note on the page. It was trans-formative and transporting. Today I quickly ran to get my score and followed along. As soon as the recording ended I sat right down at my piano and played as much of it as I could, which was about 97%. Then, this evening instead of a yoga practice I took a different trip down memory lane and did the Pilates mat workout. I used to enjoy Pilates very much. It was also a saving grace to me. Both of these trips down memory lane brought back a lot of stored information. Feeling all that dormant information coming forward was exhilarating. It was wonderful  all the memories associated with both of these also returning to me. These days are hard, they downright suck, but what we can do within them is astounding. I will be revisiting some old loves of mine during this time. I am going to dust off Beethoven sonatas, Debussy Preludes, and Pilates on the Foam Roller and on the Stability Ball. And, why not?! Netflix and all those silly reality shows will all still be there, but the opportunity to see how we fit with our old loves may never come back around. I find myself seeing nuance where I never would have been aware of it before. We are still that younger person, only wiser, and remembering our younger self only reinvigorates our present self. We need reasons to smile these days. I will be revisiting old loves to catch a smile. 

Comments

Popular Posts